Monday, September 16, 2013

Project Run& Play Wk. 2 Candy Challenge

Whew. 
Guys, this challenge was so tough for me. I'm a practical clothing maker, which doesn't work so well when "candy" comes to mind. Candy? Clothing? Add that to my tendency to choose neutral or muted colors and you see my problem. 

I actually considered just skipping this week. 
It. Was. SO. Hard. 

So hard that I finished my whole "Mad For Plaid" challenge outfit and only once it was done decided I shouldn't be lame and went back to the drawing board for the Candy Challenge. 









I decided to use my new "go to" dress .. The Saffron Twirl Dress by Zafarani Designs. 
This dress is wicked cute if you can't tell by the photos. 


I did change it a little by squaring the neckline and adding this little bubblegum pocket. 
Lily seemed to really like the idea of having a tiny pocket for her treasures. 


Of course I had to give her a piece of bubblegum, why else would I make her a bubblegum dress? 
This girl's been asking me since she was 2 if she could eat bubblegum& being a mean momma, I've made her wait until she was 5. Look how long and luxurious her hair is! Can you image bubblegum in it? Because I can (I got gum in my super long hair when I was in kindergarten and had to get it cut up to my shoulders). 


For the back of the dress I used the strap that came with the pattern, but instead of securing it with a button I kept it clean with hook&eye closures. 


Did I mention that the bodice was 1. Screenprinted with the world "Bubblegum" then 2. Embroidered by hand with the outline to mimic a cute image I found online.
I  really like the simplicity of it. 


Then she twirled. I mean, it's called the Saffron Twirl Dress so what else was she to do? 





24 comments:

  1. Very VERY Cute. Love everything about this great, the simplicity totally reads vintage pretty.
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks scary, it's so nice of you to stop over and check it out. I can't wait to see what you guys came up with!!

      mae

      Delete
  2. I like the screen printed and embroidered bodice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, it's a technique i've also come to love!


      mae

      Delete
  3. I love the soft pink, muted color! So precious! And definitely reminds me of bubblegum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flair for simplistic femininity. No need for ruffles and fluff to be girly. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hope you post a tutorial on how to make that underskirt. I had wanted to make one for the dress but I've never tried one!


      Mae

      Delete
  5. Cute! I love the mixed mediums in "bubblegum" they work perfectly. The dress is the perfect color, and I love the square neckline. Great work! As for gum, I don't blame you for making her wait! So far Mack doesn't even know gum exists, and I'm hoping we can keep him away from it for a long time still. Little kids + gum = headache! I'm glad Lily enjoyed her bubblegum for the photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and we can blame her dad for giving in to it. I thought she was gum free until she told me he lets her eat it in his car! I think he's as ornery as a child sometimes! lol

      Mae

      Delete
  6. I too chose bubblegum as my candy of choice. It was fun seeing your variation. I love the full gathered skirt on the dress.
    Deborah
    http://sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny bc I typed nearly the same on your blog just moments ago. I loved seeing your take on it! Thanks for coming over. <3

      mae

      Delete
  7. So pretty and smart to add a pocket for some treats. I agree, gum and long hair is stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the screen print and embroidery! And I LOVE the dress!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely dress, so cute and feminine. Great job, Mae!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am actually sewing a dress with that same pattern. Can't wait to get it done and try it on my niece!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet dress! The screen print and embroidery jobs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very very pretty! I really like the way to you did the back the color is perfect. I linked up a Milky Way inspired outfit for my son... SO much fun! Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's just gorgeous. I love the bubblegum pocket. I too had to have waist long hair cut off in Kindergarten and only allow Wub to have gum in a very supervised way. However, rubbing peanut butter into bubblegum and slowly working at it with a good comb will remove it. Then you just have to get the peanut butter out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to look a few times before I realized that it wasn't a watermark on the pic, but actually ON THE DRESS! Great job! Isn't the Saffron Dress just the cutest girly dress ever? It's definitely a favorite around her too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the twirling pic at the end....that's when you know they love it! Love your color choices and your finishes....well done!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!