Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Planning to Plan for Vacation

Oh hey guys! 

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. Mine was quite the busy one with my daughters 5th birthday party& plenty of gardening to be had. I really wasn't doing much sewing other than the last minute stuff I had to finish up for her birthday party. 

Who else drinks wine& sews a mad hatter shirt on Friday night? Is that normal?

Last week I was on a roll whipping out tons of vacation shirts for my son. I am trying SO so hard not to have to buy him clothing & it's working very well. I don't have as many family members buying for him (boys wear just isn't as cute and tempting maybe?). That way it leaves me lots of "need" to fulfill for his wardrobe.






I picked the fabric up at Joann's while I was shopping in a hurry for something else. I walked past, did a double take, grabbed it& walked away with a yard. I had no clue what it would be for, but I like the black and white bold pattern. My husband said it makes him dizzy lol. 



For the front I did plain black buttons. I was really happy when everything lined up perfectly and I was even more excited that the buttons sat nicely in the shapes. 




I ooohed and aaaahed over this for a while. You can still see the blue markings from my fabric pen when I was deciding on where buttons should go. Did I already tell you guys I have been on a short sleeve button up marathon because my husband and his father ALWAY wear them in the summer. Well, this next week is the family vacation and I couldn't help making some for baby boy so that when we are all on the beach they can have a button up shirt party.
Oh goodness, I've lost it. 
hehe

&more shorts. Apparently bold prints are the theme for his spring wardrobe...


I love this stretchy plaid fabric. I should have looked at the bolt to see what the blend of it was because it stretches just enough to make them comfortable.


I inherited my grandmother in laws sewing machine a few weeks ago (yaaaaay more equipment!) and now I'm able to leave a double needle on one machine & a single on the second. Two sewing machines & a serger. This is quickly becoming a collection. I'm secretly wishing for a coverstitch machine but I don't dare start looking at prices. I know they are some $600+ ... oh but how lovely my garments would look with it! Until that time I'll keep dreaming and perfecting my serging skills. 

Hope you all have a great week. It seems spring has sprung and we are out of the house most days running to the park or the zoo or the library or to get ice cream. All the things I love about this time of year& I am making sure to stop and enjoy each moment. 


6 comments:

  1. wow you do have a collection of machines! good job! I am super impressed by your button placement being perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never loved doing buttons but that day was an exception.

      Mae

      Delete
  2. Have fun on vacation! I'm jealous of your machines. lol I love the shirt too. I think he's going to look adorable in it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surely will thank you! I can't stand leaving my sewing behind for a whole week so needlework is going with me. Nothing says vacation like embroidery and a good book. <3

      Mae

      Delete
  3. Ooh, super impressed with the way the fabric lines up perfectly! And the button placement too, so professional! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mad hatter shirt...yes! Just replace the wine with a jack-n-coke.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!